Thursday, August 17, 2006

What is your favorite comedy movie?

This week's "Natural Stress-Free Living" newsletter will be about laughter and stress. If you would like to subscribe, click here or on the link in the sidebar to the left.

There have been some very interesting scientific observations about the relationship between laughter and stress. To test some of the research for myself, I've been watching funny movies this past week. (Gotta love doing research!)

Some were really funny, some were cute but missed several opportunities for real laughs, some just missed the mark with me altogether, but taste in humor is as individual as taste in clothing...everyone loves something different.

A ten-star comedy if I ever saw one is "Bringing Up Baby" made in 1936 and starring Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant. It's one of those screwball comedies of the '30s and '40s where totally opposite characters were bound together in absurd situations and heavily coated with the unexpected....totally hilarious!

Leave a comment and share the title(s) of your favorite comedy movie(s). Include a review if you like....and stock up on popcorn because later I'll be publishing a list of some of the best-ever comedy movies!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle,

Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Office Space and anything starring or directed by Woody Allen, gets my thumbs up for hahahaha's.

Laughter is a great healer and stress reliever, that is for sure.

There is a very interesting story in the book, Love, Medicine and Miracles about a man who healed himself with laughter, while suffering from a serious medical condition. I loved that story, don't have the book handy but it stayed in my mind and continues to remind me, when things get overwhelming, try a laugh break!

Huggs, G

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love BBC's Mr. Bean with Rowen Akeson. That will get me to laughing in no time!

Anonymous said...

My favorite old funny movie is "The Party" with Peter Sellers, and my new movie, recently released that I really had to laugh, is "RV" with Robin Williams.

Take care,
Andrea

Anonymous said...

I enjoy watching "Everybody loves Raymond' and "Friends" TV shows every day. I laugh a lot when I watch these shows.

Norman Cousins wrote the book “Anatomy of an Illness” in which he tells how he recovered from an illness with laughter.

My wife has an stressful job and I talk to her on the phone everyday when she takes the lunch break She sounds irritated and stressed out. After she started taking Sceletium, I noticed that her voice on the phone, when she was at work, changed completely. She sounded the way she sounded when she was a teenager(I know her since she was in 9th grade). She handles stressful situations differently, very calmed and smooth. She now has gotten used to handle stress differently that she now no longer needs to take Sceletium.

Semper

Baseball Diva said...

Bull Durham, not just my favorite comedy, but in the top two or three all-time favorite movies.

Love His Girl Friday too. Way back in the dark ages, before we bought our first VCR I bought two VHS tapes in anticipation that one day we would get a VCR. The two tapes were His Girl Friday and It's a Wonderful Life.

Michelle Wood said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

I didn't address comedy television mostly because I don't find anything funny about situation comedies. Most of them are "insult comedy" where people insult each other and put each other down, and I don't usually like that branch of humor. The other thing is, I can anticipate most of the dialogue; there is no element of surprise, so it's not funny.

The exception is a BBC comedy called "My Family" starring Robert Lindsay, Zoe Wanamaker, and Kris Marshall (though Kris has since left the series). It is insulting and "put down," but they do things that are absurd, and things that surprise me, and that makes it funny to me.

Most recently, the eldest son (played by Kris) got a kit and was tuning the family piano. Several times during the show, family members walked by and scowled at him...his banging on the piano was an ongoing annoyance.

End of the show: the dad (played by Robert) goes over to check out the piano-tuning job his son has "finished." He hits a key....Middle C; he hits another key....Middle C; he hits a bunch more keys....the son had tuned every single key on the piano to Middle C! It was totally unexpected, and completely hilarious!