Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions This Time!









Failing to keep your New Year’s Resolution can bring on a stressful guilt trip.


Here are some ways you can be successful in 2009:

1. Choose goals that are reasonable and attainable. Nothing is more self-defeating than setting a goal you know you can’t reach.

2. Plan specific ways to meet your goal. If weight loss is your goal, don’t say, “I’m going to lose weight,” state how you’re going to do it: “I’m going to lose weight by working out 15 minutes every day.”

3. Create an enjoyable way to meet your goal. No matter what the goal is, if you don’t enjoy moving toward it, you won’t move.

4. Set mini-goals within the larger goal or resolution, and give yourself a treat when you reach each mini-goal.

5. Find other people who share your goal(s) and work together to support each other toward success.

Good luck, and Happy New Year!


2 comments:

Geraldine said...

I think #1 says it all for me, M. I usually get really carried away with unattainable goals and then I do feel bad when my efforts fall short. Thanks for a great post to ponder and a very happy new year to you too!

Hugs, G

Anonymous said...

I agree, G! I think there should be a limit of three goals per person, perhaps one immediate, one short term, and one long term.

Also, I should add a number 6: we should not try to do too much too fast, but give ourselves a reasonable amount of time in which to succeed. Our "instant gratification" culture can be a detriment to our success in this instance.

Hugs,
M